Skip to content

Clergy Voluntary Withholding Agreements

September 27, 2010

Ministers can arrange to have income taxes (but not social security taxes) withheld from their compensation by means of voluntary withholding agreements with their employers. If the employer agrees to such an arrangement, the minister must furnish the church with a Form W-4, and the church will then withhold on the basis of the standard withholding tables or a fixed amount based on each pay period. The agreement between the ministers and the church must be in writing and must contain (1) the name, address, and social security number of the minister, (2) the name and address of the church, and (3) a statement that the minister desires the withholding of income tax. The agreement may be terminated at any time by means of a written statement.

Clergy Financial Resources

Clergy Financial Resources is a national accounting and finance organization serving churches and clergy since 1980. They have an unparalleled tax expertise on the complex issues associated with clergy tax law, clergy taxes, clergy compensation and church payroll. Clergy Financial Resources is a valuable resource for clergy, churches and denominations.


From → Clergy Tax Law

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: